Please note, that international tickets bought on-line
cannot be printed at home. Neither the reference code nor the confirmation e-mail entitles you to travel.
The international tickets bought on-line must be printed at one of the e-Ticket machines located at 42
railway stations in Hungary.
Not all of our international ticket offers are available online. If you do not find a suitable offer, or you have special requirements, please visit one of our international ticket offices located at major railway stations or in downtown of selected cities.
The below guide is a step-by-step approach to the on-line international ticket purchase process.
1. Journey selection: Please give the details of the journey through the route selection screen. Fill the From - To fields to give the departure and arrival stations respectively. Set the date of the journey in the When field by clicking on the required day. (Month can be changed using >>> arrows). For international journeys you do not have to fill in the Discount field and the Search conditions in this page. In the bottom of the page you can select from two buttons depending on whether you are interested in the timetable only, or you require price information for your journey as well.
2.a. If you click Timetable, different travel options related to the selected route will be displayed.
2.b. If online ticket purchase for the given route is available, then after clicking Ticket information, you will see the form required for ticket price search. If online ticket purchase is not available for the given destination, then clicking on the related information text, you can open the list of routes, we currently offer tickets for.
3. Travel data entry: here you can set the time of outward and return journeys, number of passengers, and their dates of birth. (Date of birth is required for the selection of the best offer.) To select a different destination, click on Back. You can select travelling on 1st or 2nd class for both your outward and return journey. The pram icon next to the number of passengers calls your attention to that ticket booking for children is not always required. If your infant is younger than 4 years old, then based on the age limits related to children it is not required to book separate ticket for the infant, so if you do not want to book separate ticket for your child, then please do not add your infant to the number of passengers, do not include his/her date of birth either. If your infant takes a separate seat during the journey, then he/she shall be added to the number of passengers, and based on his/her age the infant will be entitled to a children´s ticket.
4. After clicking on Ticket information the system displays the most favourable travel options for you in a price based sequence based on the provided travel data. Prices for international tickets are displayed in Euros, payable in HUF at the end of the purchase calculated based on the daily exchange rate specified by MÁV-START.
To change the properties of the journey (e.g. date, number of passengers, setting a return trip) click on Back. Please do not use the navigation buttons of your browser to return to previous pages.
5. If you click on the price, the system displays the different ticket options available at the given price.
6. By clicking on the orange arrows at different ticket types you can see which trains you can travel by with the given ticket – both for your outward and return journey. Additionally, clicking on the names of different offers here, you can receive detailed information about the special terms & conditions of the selected offer.
The system calls your attention to the issue of seat reservation.
- For offers related to trains with compulsory seat reservation or when only trains with compulsory seat reservation are available, it is always required to select a specific train, and the price of compulsory seat reservation is included in the displayed price.
- If seat reservation is not compulsory but optionally available for a given train, seat reservation can be made the same way: by selecting a specific train. In this case, the displayed price does not include the price of seat reservation, it will be added to the ticket price when you select the train, and add the ticket to the basket. If you do not request seat reservation, you can add the ticket to the basket without selecting a train and you can travel by any of the trains listed.
- If trains available for the offer are without seat reservation, then your ticket will not be valid for one specific train, but you can travel by any of the trains listed. In this case you can add your ticket to the basket without selecting a train.
7. Selecting an offer: by clicking on the names of different offers, you can receive detailed information about the offers. Before selecting a specific offer, please read the related terms and conditions carefully.
8. You can pay the selected tickets by
clicking Add ticket to the Basketbutton. You have 20
minutes to pay tickets with seat reservation.
Within one transaction the e-Ticket system enables the booking of
international tickets or domestic tickets only. If you want to buy
domestic and international tickets as well, please select your ticket(s)
for the first journey, add ticket(s) to the basket, then after payment
return to buy the other ticket(s).
9. Content of the basket: this page you can see a summary of the detailed data of your journey.
Before purchasing, please read the
general terms and conditions of carriage and the special conditions
related to the selected offer by clicking on the link at the bottom and
top of the page. At this point, the basket cannot be modified, if the basket contents are not correct,
you have to sign out by clicking on Sign-out on the right side of the screen to delete the complete basket.
Please do not use the navigation buttons of your browser to step back to previous pages.
If you request an invoice of the ticket purchase, you can indicate it at this point Please note, that we cannot issue an invoice later if you do not indicate your invoicing requirement here. If you do not request an invoice, the ticket serves as a receipt of purchase. Invoice can be issued of the complete transaction only. You can enter invoicing data after log-in by clicking Invoicing data on the right side of the display. If you require an invoice, select the recipient from the previously recorded data. If you record a new invoicing data at this point, please click on Refresh above Bank payment to make the new item appear on the list of previously recorded data. If you buy international railway tickets, you can select names registered as natural persons or economic organisations as well. In accordance with § 105 of the VAT Code, international tickets are free from VAT. Further information about invoicing can be found under Invoicing Guide of the menu. If you find everything in order, you can start the transaction by clicking Bank Payment. Please read the Conditions of Use before payment carefully. (Point of the menu bar in the bottom of the page.)
10. Bank payment: Using the Bank
payment nbutton, you will be redirected to the to the Internet
payment platform of OTP Bank. You have to give your bank card data on
the Bank platform for payment. Bank card data given here cannot be
recognised by the Service Provider, these are processed directly by the
Bank. MÁV-START is not liable for any failure occurring on the bank
payment page. Success or failure of the given payment transaction is
reported to the User by the system, and these can be seen under Previous
purchases later as well. More information about bank card payment:
Client information about regular bank card payment
OTP client information about Maestro card payment
See Internet shopping and Safety of internet shopping at OTP as well.
11. Correction during purchase: Please make sure, that your basket
always contains the right tickets throughout the purchase process. The price of the already paid
tickets can only be refunded in accordance with the Special Terms & Conditions of the selected offer.
To change the properties of the journey (e.g. destination, date, number of passengers, setting a return trip) during journey and ticket selection click on Back. Please do not use the navigation buttons of your browser to return to previous pages.
After the ticket has been put in the basket, the basket cannot be modified. To delete the contents of basket, you have to sign out by clicking on Sign-out on the right side of the screen.
The contents of the basket can be reviewed before payment. At this point, the basket cannot be modified, if the basket contents are not correct, you have to sign out by clicking on Sign-out on the right side of the screen to delete the complete basket. Please do not use the navigation buttons of your browser to step back to previous pages.
Before authorising the payment on the payment page of OTP Bank, please verify that the displayed sum equals the price of the purchased tickets. If you find any differences, please cancel payment, and after you are redirected back to the e-Ticket system, sign-out. Then start your purchase again by signing in.
Previously recorded invoicing data can be modified by clicking Invoicing data. It is not possible to change name and/or type of recipient of an existing entry; in this case you have to create a new entry. If there is any error in the recipient’s data on a received invoice, please contact our Client Service. Please do not forget to correct your recorded data as well.
12. Receiving tickets: After entering your bank card data and accepting the transaction data you will be redirected back to the page of the e-Ticket system, where you can see the ten-digit reference number entitling you to receive the tickets purchased. International tickets can only be collected from the e-Ticket machines. Home printing of international tickets is not possible currently
13. You can print the page, but it is
enough for ticket collection to record the ten-digit number that
entitles you to collect your ticket. If you click New purchase
you get back to the route selection screen, and you can buy tickets
again if you want to. Within one transaction, the
e-Ticket system enables the booking of international tickets or domestic
tickets only. If you want to buy domestic and international tickets as
well, please select your ticket(s) for the first journey, add ticket(s)
to the basket, then after payment return to buy the other ticket(s).
Clicking Sign out, you can exit the system.
14. You can review the data of your tickets purchased under point Previous purchases of the menu. Tickets collected (printed) are differentiated by a blue background colour from those not received yet. Detailed data of the tickets can be seen if you click Details:
15. Collection of tickets purchased: You
can collect Tickets purchased online from touch screen e-ticket machines
settled at 40 railway stations in Hungary.
Please enter the ten-digit reference number received at buying using the touch screen of the e-ticket machine, then tap the (BEVITEL - Enter) arrow. Then the e-ticket machine will print the tickets bought. (If you have accidentally mistyped a digit, please delete it with the (TÖRLÉS - Delete) arrow.)
If the e-ticket machine is out of order,
or you are not sure how to use it, please call MÁVDIREKT: +36 (1) 3 49 49 49.